Department of Computer Science
|UP Diliman Department of Computer Science|
|Chairperson||Dr. Cedric Festin|
|Location||UP Alumni Engineers Centennial Hall, Velasquez St., UP Diliman, Quezon City, Philippines|
UP Diliman Department of Computer Science
<googlemap lat="14.648552" lon="121.068472" zoom="17"> </googlemap>
The Department of Computer Science is one of nine departments in the University of the Philippines College of Engineering. It is located in the UP Diliman Campus, which is the flagship campus of the University of the Philippines System
The Department of Computer Science administers the four-year Bachelor of Science in Computer Science Program and the Master of Science in Computer Science program. The department currently has around 550 undergraduate and 100 graduate students.
The BSCS program is designed to equip the student with knowledge of the fundamental concepts and a reasonable mastery of the basic tools and techniques in computer science. The undergraduate program incorporates the core material, which is universally accepted as common to Computer Science undergraduate programs (computer programming, computer organization, computer systems, data structures and algorithms, file processing, and programming languages). Underpinning the software orientation of the program are the subjects on database systems, software engineering, artificial intelligence, computer networks and special problems (primarily, software projects).
The Master of Science in Computer Science program is administered also by the CS Department. The program aims to provide the student with both breadth and depth of knowledge in the concepts and techniques related to the design, programming, and application of computing systems.
- Biomedical computing
- Computer security
- Computer vision and machine intelligence
- Software engineering (information systems, database systems and Internet technologies)
- Computer networks
- Theoretical computer science
Java Competency Center
The UP-Mirant Java Education Center and the UP Java Research and Development Center compose the UP Java Competency Center and is part of the ASEAN Java Competency Programme. The UP Java Competency Center is a partnership of the University of the Philippines, Ayala Foundation, Mirant Foundation and Sun Microsystems.
- Algorithms and Complexity Group
- Computer Security Group
- Computer Vision and Machine Intelligence Group
- Networks and Distributed Systems Group
- Scientific Computing Group
- Web Science Group
- UP Department of Computer Science
- UP College of Engineering
- University of the Philippines - Diliman
- University of the Philippines
- UP Diliman DCS Alumni Association
- UP Information Technology Training Center
The UP CS Network (UP Alliance of Computer Science Organizations)
The UP CS Network is the first student organization alliance of its kind in the UP Diliman College of Engineering. The Network is composed of two socio-academic organizations (UP CURSOR and UP CompSoc), two academic organizations (UP ACM and UnPLUG), two department service arms (UP Parser and DCS SA), one college service arm (UP Engineering Webteam), and one university service arm (CRS).
The first full active school year of existence of the CS Network (AY 2005-06) culminated in the Department of Computer Science being adjudged the College's Best Department for the year by the Engineering Student Council (see related external link).
- Association for Computing Machinery - UP Student Chapter (UP ACM), the first and only ACM student chapter in the Philippines and three-time winner of the ACM Student Chapter Excellence Awards (see ACM Chapter Excellence homepage and the announcement of the 2005-06 award)
- Computerized Registration System (CRS)
- The UP Parser (Official Student Publication of the DCS), the first department-based newspaper in the UP Diliman College of Engineering
- UP Association of Computer Science Majors (UP CURSOR), Winner of the 2006 Engineering Organization Excellence Awards. UP CURSOR is a consistent placer in the Engineering Week.
- UP Computer Society (UP CompSoc)
- UP Engineering Webteam
- UP Linux Users' Group (UnPLUG)
- DCS Student Assistants (DCS SA)
9818500 local 3255 / 3231 / 3256