DZUP is the official AM radio station Of the University of the Philippines (UP) Diliman. It has been on and off the air since its inauguration on December 2. 1958 It continues to serve as the "Voice of the University' where the voice of students, faculty and administration is heard on the air.
From the College of Engineering and the College of Liberal Arts in the 1950s to the 1970s until its closure during the Martial Law, DZUP's management was transferred to the UP Information Office then to the Institute of Mass Communication in 1987 to its present 'home' the Broadcast Communication Department of the College of Mass Communication (CMC).
At present. DZUP airs from Monday to Friday. 9:00 AM to 8:00 PM. DZUP 1602 kHz is heard all over Metro Manila, Pampanga, Cavite, Bulacan, and Laguna Its tagline 'Kasali Ka' aims to convey the message that DZUP is not only for the UP community but also for everyone who actively participates in matinong usapan para sa maunlad na bayan throuqh programming.
The idea of having an educational station in the university was first conceived way back in 1950 when the possibility of giving physics lessons on the air to aid high school physics teachers was being contemplated upon, but due to financial problems it was not until 1957, when the contract between UP and the Radio Corporation of America, supported by the International Cooperation Administration ('CA) and the National Economic Council (NEC), took effect. that DZUP became a reality.
Thus. it was with a power of only 1/2 kilowatt that DZUP initiated its broadcasting activities on December 2, 1958, on the frequency of 1580 kilocycles per second on the standard broadcast band. In order to reach a Wider range of listeners. However, the station's transmitting power was later increased to 2 kilowatts, and so on.
As an educational station, DZUP had quite a number of programs designed for information and education, and various units of the university contribute to the realization of this purpose, even until now. DZUP likewise provided public service to its listeners. In the field of entertainment programs were varied to suit various age ranges as well as interest groups. DZUP started its broadcasts from one small studio on the fourth floor of the College of Engineering building, but thanks to the willing financial support of some of the university's alumni, it was able to expand its facilitates to include another studio on the first floor of the College of Liberal Arts building (now known as Palma Hall or the College of Social Sciences & Philosophy building).
DZUP was forcefully shut down by the Marcos Regime in 1972 when it was being used as an anti-Marcos medium of communication during the Diliman commune. After 15 years of silence, DZUP penetrates the air waves once again to assume its post as a venue for free and intelligent discussion and an instrument that will bind the UP community. Having undergone several 'revitalizations’ later, we have the DZUP today that still fulfills its key role to the UP community and beyond.
- With excerpts from Tison, L (1960) DZUP:The Voice of the State University. In 1960 U.P. Alumni Yearbook (pp. 41-43)