UVLe Big Blue Button
Big Blue Button
BigBlueButton (BBB) is an open source web conferencing system for distance education. The goal of the project is to enable universities, colleges, and K12 to delivery a high-quality learning experience to remote students.
BigBlueButton supports real-time sharing of slides (including whiteboard), audio, video, chat, and desktops. It also record lectures for later playback, specifically the slides + audio + chat (see release notes).
The BigBlueButton project was started in 2007 by Blindside Networks. In addition our work on BigBlueButton core, we created this UVLe 2.x activity module so you can fully leverage BigBlueButton's capabilities from within your courses.
This module enables you to:
- Create multiple activity links to on-line sessions within a course
- Restrict students from joining a session until a teacher (moderator) joins the session
- Launch BigBlueButton in a separate window
- Create a custom welcome message that appears at the top of the chat window when joining the session
- Specify join open/close dates for the session that appears in the Moodle's calendar
- Record a session
Adding BBB to your course
- Click on "turn editing on" button.
- Click on "Add an activity or resource" link.
- Add activity pop-out will show, click on the BigBlueButtonBN activity
- Supply required fields (*red-labeled input box).
- Tick on the "Open BigBlueButton in a new window" so BBB will not load on parent window.
- Tick on "Students must wait until a moderator joins" so session will not start until you or an assigned moderator logs in.
- Tick on "Record" to record the whole session or the first "Duration" hours.
- Save and Return to course
Conducting BBB Class
- Flash Player plugin is required to run BBB.
- Allow BBB to access Microphone and/or Camera of your computer.
- You can set your screen layout that suits your class.
- Manage who can speak or be seen on the webcam via the Users Panel.