|University of the Philippines People Oriented Leadership In the Interest of Community Awareness|
|Founded||3 December 1993|
|Motto||The Power That Be|
|Tambayan||East Wing, Palma Hall, UP Diliman|
|Affiliations||Association of Political Science Organizations of the Philippines (APSOP) |
CSSP Academic Circle
World Youth Alliance (WYA)
National Youth Commission (NYC)
|Faculty Adviser||Prof. Dennis F. Quilala|
U.P. People-Oriented Leadership in the Interest of Community Awareness (UP POLITICA) is an academic organization exclusively for Political Science majors.
UP POLITICA is based at the College of Social Sciences and Philosophy (CSSP), University of the Philippines Diliman. The organization is a founding member of the Association of Political Science Organizations of the Philippines (APSOP), and a member of the CSSP Academic Circle.
UP POLITICA is a non-sectarian, non-partisan (except when a unanimous vote from the general membership agrees to support an endeavor requiring the organization to have a stand), non-profit, and non-ideological Political Science organization.
Its main purpose is to advocate the genuine study of political science as an independent discipline as distinguished from the customary conception that it is a pre-law program. To serve this goal, the organization possesses a training arm, which works assiduously to establish contacts with academic and non-academic institutions, and NGOs, GOs and POs that are willing to become training grounds for the members.
UP POLITICA adheres to the principles of democracy and social justice. The organization provides the proper avenue for the objective exploration of issues, information dissemination, and the utilization of political science concepts for critical thinking. One of the organization’s principal ends is to promote social and political awareness not just within the confines of the University but outside the academic community as well. In line with this, UP POLITICA hosts a number of projects that aim to encourage awareness among the many sectors of society, for the organization believes that awareness can somehow push a person to go beyond ideas and take a step towards making a difference.
UP POLITICA is one of the youngest among all the Political Science organizations in the University. It was founded on December 3, 1993 by 20 young and quixotic Political Science majors, originally, to provide an alternative organization that would pursue Political Science as an independent discipline. Though relatively young, the organization was able to pursue its goals and objectives.
The first few months of UP POLITICA were characterized by zest and vigor. However, in 1994, most of the founding members graduated, causing the lack of stable and broad membership. Since the organization was still green and puerile, it was not able to achieve a complete takeoff.
In 1996, despite the aberration, UP POLITICA initiated a new recruitment process that brought about fresh and enthusiastic applicants who dared to join the organization and summon it from its long dormancy.
The year 1997 was the turning point for the improved organization, now with even more vigor and spirit than before. Since then, the Phoenix symbolized UP POLITICA, for from the ashes came a new lease of life.
The Academic Committee is known as the “brain of the organization.” It performs specific functions determined by the constitution. Among them is the release of 'The Phoenix' - the organization’s official publication. Furthermore, among a multitude of other tasks, the Committee keeps a library of materials consisting of books, readings and sample exams, which not only keeps members well-equipped for the lessons ahead, but also ensures minimal costs for academic materials and a relatively higher grade. The committee also produces 'The Weekly Perspective', a weekly release of commentaries and opinion pieces on pertinent events written by the members.
The External Committee serves as the Public Relations Office of the organization. Members of this committee promote the organization inside and outside the university (e.g., as the organization's official representatives to the Association of Political Sciences Organizations of the Philippines or APSOP). It also facilitate the promotion of the activities of the other committees, and with this, establish academic ties both with the Department of Political Science and other groups outside the organization. One of the vital jobs of this Committee is the convening of the POLITICA Alumni Association (PAA).
The Finance Committee performs all financially related tasks of the organizations, from collection of fees and dues, to transactions when buying org shirts, pins, etc. It also spearheads the establishment of contacts and sponsors, fund-raising activities, and the like.
The Internal Committee serves as the Disciplinary Board of the organization. As such, the functions of it includes supervision of all disciplinary cases, determination of the punishment and sanctions, strict implementation of rules, and upholding the rights and privileges of the members. It also supervises the entire application process and the induction rights every term.
The Training Committee is what makes UP POLITICA unique and original. It serves as the Human Resource Development Office of the organization. It has the function to inform the members of any available job openings in any institutions or organizations with which the organization has established ties (examples of which are NGOs such as the World Youth Alliance and Sulong CARHRIHL, and government institutions such as the Office of the Ombudsman). It also serves as the liaison officer between the said institutions and the organization.
UP POLITICA adheres to the belief in the value of its members; as such, it has The PHOENIX: the official newsletter of the organization. This paper not only allows the thorough education of its members regarding current university and national issues, but it also provides an avenue for training members regarding the application of political analysis in the writing about topics discussed.
(Academic Year 2018-2019)
- Speaker: John Christian Muyana
- Assistant Speaker: Ryan Patrick Tumagos
- Academic Committee Head Dianne Robee Maye Monte
- Externals Committee Head: John Christian Muyana
- Finance Committee Head: Yzzabel Danganan
- Internals Committee Head: Ken Xylo Del Rosario
- Programs Director for Training: Ryan Patrick Tumagos
- Secretary: Caryl Faith Cortez
- Assistant Secretary: Jan Shontrice Gaddi
- Rogelio Alicor Panao, PhD
(Assistant Professor, Department of Political Science, College of Social Sciences and Philosophy, UP Diliman)
- Association of Political Science Organizations of the Philippines (APSOP)
- CSSP Academic Circle
- World Youth Alliance
- Office of the Ombudsman (Junior Graft-Buster Unit)
- Sulong CARHRIHL
- Philippine Coalition for the International Criminal Court
- National Youth Commission
- Katherine Marie Hernandez – Assistant Professor, UP Department of Political Science
- Dennis Quilala – Assistant Professor, UP Department of Political Science
- Rogelio Alicor Panao – Assistant Professor, UP Department of Political Science
- January Sanchez – Topnotcher, 2005 Bar Exams
- Jayson Aguilar – Top 3, 2015 Bar Exams
- Christine June Cariño – Head of Institute for National Security Studies, National Defense College of the Philippines, Department of National Defense
- Renelyn Tan – Regional Director for Asia Pacific, World Youth Alliance
- Ruth Maureen Rillon – CSSP Representative, University Student Council (2004-2005)
- Kat Macasinag – Political Department Representative, CSSP Student Council (2005-2006)
- Mark delas Alas – Councilor, CSSP Student Council (2008-2009)
- Adrian Baccay – Councilor, CSSP Student Council (2010-2011)
- Pola Lia Celina Lamarca - Councilor, CSSP Student Council (2011-2012) | Councilor, University Student Council (2014-2015)
- Chris Erwin Alquizalas - Councilor, CSSP Student Council (2012-2013)
- Alexis Ian dela Cruz – Natatanging Mag-aaral, Kagalingang KAPP 2009
- Jayson Aguilar -Summa Cum Laude and Class 2011 Valedictorian, UP College of Social Sciences and Philosophy | Cum Laude and Class 2015 Valedictorian, UP College of Law
- Michael Nehemiah Simms - Rookie of the Year for Football, UAAP Season 74
- Alex Dela Cruz - Sinag CSSP Associate Editor 2007-2008
- Roseann Ramirez - Sinag CSSP VP for Publication 2011- 2012, Sulo Feature Editor 2011-2012
- Gromico Chopitea - Sulo Editor-in-Chief 2010-2011
- Jeric Anne Azores - Korea University of Technology and Education, AY 2009-2010
- Roseann Ramirez - Thammasat University, Summer 2011
- Tambayan Address: 1/F East Wing, Palma Hall, University of the Philippines Diliman, Quezon City
- E-mail Address: email@example.com