UP Lagoon and the Academic Oval
The Academic Oval
The University's academic highway, the Academic Oval covers a distance of 2.2 kilometers. The Oval starts at Quezon Hall, goes full circle towards the different colleges and units, and ends at Plaridel Hall.
The sylvan Academic Oval in the heart of a bustling city is a sight to behold, appreciated most especially by those who frequent the campus.
The Academic Oval, with a perimeter of 2.2 kilometers, is the elliptical campus road maked by the various academic and administrative buildings composed of Quezon Hall, Vargas Museum, Faculty Center, Palma Hall, Gonzales Hall, Benitez Hall, Vinzons Hall, College of Business Administration building, School of Economics building, Malcolm Hall, National Engineering Center building, Melchor Hall, the University Theatre and Abelardo Hall.
The Oval is made legendary by acacia trees, 164 as of the latest count that form a lush canopy around it. The acacia trees are as old as the Diliman campus itself, immediately upon transferring from Pade Faura, President Bienvenido Ma. Sioco Gonzales directed the planting of the acacia trees, to transform the campus from a field of cogon to a forest of trees. The man responsible for this beautification was Professor Jose Vera Santos.
Through the years, the oval has stood as a silent witness to the various marches of students, faculty and staff, in exercise of their cherished freedom of oppression. It is also a convenient route for the Lantern Parade during the Christmas season. Back in the past, the hayride traversed the Oval to cap the Arbor Day celebration.
Another University landmark that can be seen at the Academic Oval are the ikot jeepneys. The ikot, which made its campus appearance in 1955. passes by the oval as if goes around campus to ferry passengers. today, the ikot has its counterpart, the toki, which as the name implies, plies the counter route.
The Oval is the staging place for many art events. In 1998, pedestrians hold the chance to view art installations of the fine arts students making us of 24 of the acacia trees. The site-specific work, aptly titles, Punong-puno ng Sining, dressed up the trees to represent the eight art forms of painting, sculpture, architecture, dance, literature, film, music and theater.
In 1979, trafic lights were installed for a more orderly traffic along the Oval. To keep the campus as a haven for nature lovers, the Oval goes car-less on weekends, from 6 in the morning until 10 in the evening. The scheme enables joggers, bikers and families to enjoy the Oval and its surroundings free from the noise and the smoke pollutants belched out by the motorized vehicles.
The Alumni Walk was launched in U.P.’s centennial year in 2008. A project of the UPD administration under then Chancellor Sergio S. Cao, the project sought to transform the inner sidewalk of the Academic Oval into a tile-paved footpath with commemorative slabs bearing UPD alumni-donors’ names, and whose donations went to the UPD Faculty Development Fund. On March 2008, however, the Academic Oval was turned into one-way in order to lessen traffic volume entering the university. According to then Vice Chancellor for Community Affairs Cynthia Grace Gregorio, the policy also promotes lessening air pollution by creating biking lanes on the inner side of the circle.
UPD Centennial Projects
The UPD Centennial Projects Committee has prepared eight major projects to mark UP’s 100th year. Chaired by UPD Chancellor Sergio Cao, the committee’s plans do not only highlight the campus’ natural and physical resources. More importantly, they commemorate the university’s wealth of culture and talent.
The project called “Luntiang Lagusan” will showcase UPD as environmentally friendly and ecologically sound with a view to promoting “campus civility”. On the forefront of this project is the improvement of street lighting and sidewalks along University Avenue to encourage walking and interaction among individuals. The plan also includes revitalizing the University Flower Seal and planting flora in the triangular area at the junction of the University and Commonwealth Avenues.
Inside the Academic Oval
The Main Library, which is the seat of library administration, is situated at Gonzalez Hall in the middle of the academic oval. It is organized into three major divisions which covers the various functional sections: (a) Technical Services Division which formulates and adopts standard acquisition, cataloging and indexing policies and procedures; (b) Administrative Services which provides support to the functional sections/units of the Library; and, (c) User Education and Services Division which lends books and provides reference, research and bibliographic services; maintains and preserve books, documents and archival materials; undertakes user education programs; and maintains computerized database applications. The Main Library is situated in the heart of the Academic Oval.
Gonzalez Hall was named after the University’s sixth President, Bienvenido M. Gonzalez (1939-1943, 1945-1951). The Main Library is completes the six pioneering buildings of the campus, and is actually the first to be built as UP transferred from Padre Faura, Manila to Diliman in 1949. The five other buildings are namely Benitez Hall (College of Education), Palma Hall (College of Social Sciences and Philosophy), Malcolm Hall (College of Law), Melchor Hall (College of Engineering) and Quezon Hall (Administration Building). These buildings share and portray modern architectural designs, and also serve as landmarks of the University’s early beginnings, being part of its colorful history for the past one hundred years.
When the university moved in Diliman in 1949, the area was a spot in an adobe jungle. Except for the law and education buildings which were built just before the hostilities of WWII, the habitations consisted of Quonset huts left by the US Army which had bivouacked in the area. Soon permanent buildings were constructed around the Diliman quadrangle: the administration, library, engineering, liberal arts and some dormitories. Liberal Arts (Palma Hall) and engineering (Melchor Hall) buildings are mirror images across the once marshy expanse which engineering students wished had a short cut access to and from. For as always, engineering students had many liberal arts courses in the lower years of their curricula which they had to enroll in liberal arts: math, chem, physics, humanities, etc.
It took the enterprising spirit of a Betan, to blaze a passable gravel path across the mud and muck. That was in the first semester of 1953. The pathway was not straight for it had to seek the narrowest width of the water channel that drained the little valley that ran westward from the library building. Besides, there was the fifth hole of the U.P. Golf course right by the middle of the quadrangle.
The "tentative" pathway, however, served its purpose, saving precious minutes to negotiate the long way from the third floor of the engineering building to the physics pavilion of Palma Hall. With the temporary gravel paving of the path being eroded during heavy downpours, the Betans made it a chore to repair the "Beta Way" during the work day on August 19 (a Quezon City holiday) each year.
First day of the summer term 1961, April 11, the Betans staked out of the centerline of the structure and right away started to work on the subgrade.By the end of summer, not only short stretches on both sides of the creek and the culvert were yet to be done. The five-feet diameter concrete cylindrical pieces were gotten from a concrete pipe making outfit whose yard was seen from a the third floor offices of the DCCD Engineering at the Everlast building along Quezon Avenue. With the culvert installed, the project was finished in October except the last red-colored paving block on the arts & sciences end. It was more than 26 years since the inauguration of the Beta Way. Year after year, the Betans have been maintaining and making repairs of the pavements. The structure has been of great utility to the constituents of the University.
The original concrete-paved Beta Way was 240 meters long: 1.57 meters wide. The total number of concrete hollow blocks for the inside borders, 1180; number of solid paving blocks, 3510. The total money spent, P2,042,90. Labor was free. When the parking lot was constructed in front of Palma Hall, ~e length of the Beta Way was shortened, so the above statistics do not hold. This lane however has been of great utility all these years.
- There is a total of 16 humps along the oval. - The lamp posts around the oval light up at 6 p.m. - The western end of the oval is Kilometer 14 - The eastern end of the oval is Kilometer 15
A lagoon is a body of shallow sea water or brackish water separated from the sea by an island or coral. Lagoons are usually shallow, that is, not very deep. A small area of fresh water separated from a bigger lake or a river by sand is also a lagoon. Such lagoons are a pleasure to swim in.
The UP Lagoon
More inward from the Quezon Hall is the UP Lagoon, the only body, no matter how small, of water on campus. The lagoon dissects a vast expanse of land where several glades can be found. The area thus serves as a botanical reserve planted to narra, banaba, kapok, mahogany, royal, rubber, acacia and mango trees, and bamboo, among others. Time was when flocks of sheep and other wild life would graze the area lending it a most pastoral scene on a lazy afternoon on campus.
The lagoon itself is more than a meter deep. It is home to mudfish, catfish, tilapia, and a number of ducks that keeps on dwindling through the years.
The UP Lagoon looked differently decades ago. In the early 1950's, it was just a canal surrounded by tall grasses. Students never dared to go there for fear of snake bites. In the early 1970's the administration started to design plans to develop the lagoon. Concrete steps toward the beautification of the UP Lagoon, however, were not taken until the early 1990's.
Beta Epsilon Theatrum
Aside from the forest glades that adorn the area, the UP Lagoon is now landscaped with decorative plants complete with benches, tables, wooden bridges, and paved pathways with street lamps. The presence of the Beta Theatrum (courtesy of the Beta Epsilon Fraternity) in the area makes it an ideal activity center for cultural endeavors such as concerts and variety shows throughout the year.
The Theatrum is Beta Epsilon's gift to the University on its Diamond Jubilee in 1983 during the term of MEB Renan Pineda BE 80. The architectural design was done by Dean Geronimo V. Manahan, BE 57, and the structural by Betan Engineers at DMCI.
A ground breaking was held on August 27, 1983, with Chancellor E. G. Tabujara, Dean of Student Affairs Luis Beltran, Roni Manahan, Prof. I.I. Ilio, alumni and residents pitching in. Inauguration of the stage was on December 8, 1984. A capsule containing pertinent date about the frat and the structure was buried with the cornerstone.
The main stage is situated by the water's edge. Across the lagoon is the audience area to be landscaped with rising steps towards Osmena Avenue. The first function to utilize this outdoor theater stage was the Poetry Reading of the works of Brod Dom I. It has also been used afterwards by the President's Cultural Committee.
Tres Marias Plaza
Connecting the Amphitheater and the UP Lagoon is the Charter Donor's Garden with a sculpture perched atop a high pedestal at the center. With out propensity to call people or places alternative names, the garden has acquired a nickname on account of the sculptural work: Tres Marias Plaza. Entitled Three Women Sewing the First Philippine Flag, the polychrome work is by Napoleon Veloso Abueva.
Napoleon Abueva is a Filipino artist. He is a sculptor given the distinction as the Philippines' National Artist for sculture. He is also entitledas the "Father of Modern Philippine Sculpture". He is the only Boholano given the distinction as National Artist of the Philippines in the field of Visual Arts. His works have been executed using almost all kinds of materials, including hard wood like molave, acacia, langka wood, ipil, kamagong, palm wood and bamboo, adobe, metal, stainless steel, cement, marble, bronze, iron, alabaster, coral and brass. He even combines different materials, like wood with metal and stone. He graduated from the University of the Philippines School of Fine Arts in 1953 with a Bachelor of Fine Arts in sculpture. He was mentored by Guillermo Tolentino, the first National Artist for sculpture and creator of the UP Oblation.
Several of his public art can also be found at UP Diliman:
-1957: Crucifix with two corpora, at the Parish of the Holy Sacrifice
-1962: University Gateway (also UP Gates)
-1967: Tribute to Higher Education, at the entrance of University Avenue
-1979: The Spirit of Business, in front of the College of Business Administration
-1992: Diwata, at the Faculty Center
-1996: Alma Mater, at the lobby of Ang Bahay ng Alumni
-1996: Three Women Sewing the First Philippine Flag, also known as Tres Marias Plaza, at the UP Donors' Garden, as part of the centennial celebration of the 1986 Philippine Revolution
The open area, picturesque landscape and airy atmosphere of the Amphitheater and the UP Lagoon combined make them a perfect place for picnics, dates, parties and even aerobics especially during the weekends. For nature lovers, however, the place is simply an oasis essential to contemplation and daydreaming.
-by JM Ang, Francis Bautista, Nikee Estrella
-Sites and Symbols, UP Diliman Library
-UP Calendar 1996
-University of the Philippines Diliman, The Oblation and Academic Oval
-UPD Centennial Projects
-The Beta Epsilon Theatrum and UP Lagoon Park Project