UP College of Nursing
The philosophy of the UP College of Nursing is anchored on the belief that its major role is to strengthen the capabilities of its individual members and the society as a whole, for them to realize their aspirations. This can be achieved through relevant education, research and continuing education and community extension services. The UPCN’s core values are summarized as follows: INTEGRITY, NATIONALISM, CARING, UNIVERSALISM and EXCELLENCE (INCUE).
Mission and Vision
The UP College of Nursing is the premiere nursing school that acts as a change agent serving the health needs of the Filipino people, and provides leadership and excellence in nursing development in the “global community”.
The University of the Philippines College of Nursing (UPCN) was conceived through a thesis presented to the Division of Biological Sciences, University of Chicago, by Ms. Julita V. Sotejo, entitled, “A University School of Nursing in the University of the Philippines.” An abstract of this thesis was enthusiastically received by Filipino nurses in convention on May 9, 1946, such that a resolution supporting the proposal was passed by the Filipino Nurses Association (now Philippine Nurses Association). After dicussions and consultations with then UP President Dr. Bienvenido M. Gonzales and members of the Board of Regents (BOR), the latter favorably endorsed the proposal to the President of the Philippines, so that on April 9, 1948, the University of the Philippines College of Nursing came into being.
The first academic offerings of UPCN in 1948 were the baccalaureate program, Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) for high school graduates, and the Post-Basic Program for nurses who graduated from the three-year Graduate in Nursing (G.N.). In 1955, the Masters program, M.A. (Nursing), was instituted as a thesis course with functional majors in administrtion, teaching and supervision, and public health. In 1968, the Masters in Nursing (MN) program, a non-thesis course focused on clinical specializations in Medical-Surgical Nursing, Maternal Child Nursing, Psychiatric Nursing and Community Health Nursing, was added to the graduate program. In response to the constantly changing times and the needs of the profession, Nursing Administration and School Health Nursing were subsequently added to the specialty fields. The doctoral program, Ph.D. (Nursing), was instituted on September 27, 1979.
In 1972, the BOR merged the Philippine General Hospital School of Nursing and the UP College of Nursing. In 1977, the Health Sciences Center was created, making it an autonomous unit of the UP System. In view of its renewed organizational structure, the College of Nursing moved out of its place at the first floor of the UP College of Law in Diliman, Quezon City and joined the rest of the health professions in Manila where it rightlfully belongs. Today, it is better known as the University of the Philippines Manila, the College of Nursing being one of its nine degree-granting units.
Thus far, since its inception in 1948, UPCN has had ten (10) deans who have all given the best years of their lives to the College, in particular, and the university, in general and continue to be the inspiration and role models of the alumni and students who make the university proud of their accomplishments and contributions to the country and the profession:
- Dean Julita V. Sotejo - 1948-1970
- Dean Leonor M. Aragon - 1970-1978
- Dean Teodora A. Ignacio - 1978-1980
- Dean Dolores M. Recio - 1980-1984
- Dean Aurora S. Yapchiongco - 1984-1990
- Dean Leda L. Layo-Danao - 1990-1993
- Dean Thelma F. Corcega - 1993-1996
- Dean Cecilia M. Laurente - 1996-2002
- Dean Luz B. Tungpalan - 2002-2004
- Dean Josefina A. Tuazon - 2004-Present
And, after 48 years, UP College of Nursing finally has it own building situated along Pedro Gil Street, Manila, through the efforts of Congressman Rolando Andaya, Chancellor Ernesto E. Domingo, Chancellor Perla D. Santos-Ocampo, Dr. Napoleon M. Apolinario, Dean Julita V. Sotejo, Dean Leda L. Layo-Danao and Dean Thelma F. Corcega, Dean Cecilia M. Laurente and all the alumni, friends and supporters of the College of Nursing, without whose sincere generosity and indefatigable efforts this would not have been made possible.
It was inagurated on February 26, 1997 by Cong. Rolando Andaya, President Emil Q. Javier, Chancellor Perla D. Santos-Ocampo and Dean Cecilia M. Laurente
Through the leadership of Chancelor Alfredo T. Ramirez, the Board of Regents approved the naming of the building after its founder, Sotejo Hall and this was formalized on September 4, 2000. This is the first time that a building was named after a person who was still living
The College of Nursing has been designated as World Health Organization Collaborating Center (WHOCC) for Nursing Development in Primary Health Care from March 15, 1989 - March 14, 2001 and it was re-designated as WHOCC for Leadership in Nursing Development dated January 2, 2004 - January 1, 2008.
The College of Nursing was also designated as a Center of Excellence CHED-COE by the Commission on Higher Education from 1997-2002.