Jose V. Abueva
|Presidents of the |
University of the Philippines
|1911-1915 Murray S. Bartlett|
|1915-1921 Ignacio B. Villamor|
|1921-1925 Guy Potter Wharton Benton|
|1925-1933 Rafael V. Palma|
|1934-1939 Jorge Bocobo|
|1939-1943 Bienvenido Gonzalez|
|1943-1945 Antonio Sison|
|1945-1951 Bienvenido Gonzalez|
|1951-1956 Vidal A. Tan|
|1956-1958 Enrique Virata|
|1958-1962 Vicente G. Sinco|
|1962-1968 Carlos P. Romulo|
|1969-1975 Salvador P. Lopez|
|1975-1979 Onofre D. Corpuz|
|1979-1981 Emmanuel V. Soriano|
|1981-1987 Edgardo J. Angara|
|1987-1993 Jose V. Abueva|
|1993-1999 Emil Q. Javier|
|1999-2005 Francisco Nemenzo, Jr.|
|2005-2011 Emerlinda R. Roman|
|2011-present Alfredo E. Pascual|
Dr. José Veloso Abueva is a Filipino educator, author, professor and civil servant. He is a former president of the University of the Philippines, and currently president of Kalayaan College.
Abueva is also one of the 12 UP Centennial Fellows who participated in the UP Centennial Lecture Series as part of the centennial celebration of the Philippines' premier institution of higher learning. A Ten Outstanding Young Men (TOYM) awardee for political science in 1962, he has devoted much of his career in academic circles.
He is a professor emeritus of political science and public administration and is closely associated with the U.P. National College of Public Administration and Governance (NCPAG). The former U.P. president holds a Ph.D. in Political Science from tne University of Michigan.
Professor Abueva is the brother of National Artist Napoleon V. Abueva.
- Secretary to the 1971 Constitutional Convention, Republic of the Philippines
- President, University of the Philippines
- Chancellor, University of the Philippines Diliman
- Vice Dean, Institute of Public Administration, University of the Philippines
- Abueva, Jose V. (ed.). Filipino Nationalism: Various Meanings, Constant and Changing Goals, Continuing Relevance. 1999 (956pp).
- Abueva, Jose V. (ed.). The Making of the Filipino Nation and Republic. 1998 (1,050pp).
- Abueva, Jose V., Romeo B. Ocampo, Felipe Medalla, Ma. Concepcion P. Alfiler, Ma. Oliva Z. Domingo, Thelma B. Kintanar, and co-authors. The Philippines Into the 21st Century: Future Scenarios for Governance, Democracy and Development, 1998-2025. 1998 (238pp).
- Jose V. Abueva, Arnold P. Alamon and Ma. Oliva Z. Domingo. Admiral Tomas Cloma: Father of Maritime Education and Discoverer of Freedomland/ Kalayaan Islands.
- Abueva, Jose V. and Emerlinda R. Roman (eds.). The Post-EDSA Vice-Presidency, Congress, and the Judiciary, (1986-1992): Self-Assessments and External Views and Assessments. Volume 3: 1st U.P. Public Lectures. 1998 (282pp).
- Abueva, Jose V. and Emerlinda R. Roman (eds.). The Post-EDSA Constitutional Commissions (1986-1992): Self-Assessments and External Views and Assessments. Volume 4: 1st U.P. Public Lectures. 1998 (189pp).
- Abueva, Jose V. and Emerlinda R. Roman (eds.). The Aquino Presidency and Administration (1986-1992): Contemporary Assessments and "The Judgment of History?" Volume 2: 1st U.P. Public Lectures. 1993 (509pp).
- Abueva, Jose V. and Emerlinda R. Roman (eds.). Corazon C. Aquino: Early Assessment of Her Presidential Leadership and Administration and her Place in History. International edition. 1993 (334pp).
Awards and Recognitions
- Ten Outstanding Young Men (TOYM) awardee for political science in 1962