Dr. Ferdinand Blancaflor Pitagan was a Monbukagusho (Japanese Government Scholarship) scholar under which he graduated with a degree of Doctor of Philosophy in Education from the International Christian University, Tokyo, Japan . He is also a graduate of the the University of the Philippines - Diliman with the degree of Masters of Education major in Educational Technology.
He was a research fellow at Tokyo Gakugei University and at Institute for Educational Research and Service of the International Christian University; a special science teacher at Philippine Science High School - Main Campus; a professional trainer for the Cisco Networking Academy; the project coordinator of the Asian Graduate School Forum; and an educational technology consultant of the UP Information Technology Training Center (UP-ITTC)] and Philippine Science High School System. Most recently, he was an assistant professor at the University of the Philippines - Diliman, College of Education, teaching educational technology and research courses.
He has done extensive research, written articles and presented in international/national conferences on topics covering education, technology, media and society. Furthermore, he has received international/national awards notably the Best Filipino Teacher of the Support Your Dream Japan, Excellence in Teaching of the UP College of Education and Model Student of Rotary International.
At present, he is an educational technology consultant of the Department of Education (DepEd) as the main author of the Media and Information Literacy and co-author of the Empowerment Technology Curriculum Guides for Senior High under the K-12 Basic Curriculum Program. He is also the lead author / team leader of the Media and Information Literacy Teaching Guide of the of Commission on Higher Education (CHEd) under the K-12 Transition Program.
In addition, he is a consultant of several private entities; an editorial board member of Sage Open Journal and the International Journal for Educational Media and Technology (IJEMT); convener of The First Media and Information Literacy Intensive Teacher Trainer Program; founder of ActivatED; and co-founder of the National Digital Educators Society (NDES).
firstname.lastname@example.org | (+63) 0928 2929 650 | facebook
Department of Education, Educational Technology Consultant
- Main Author, Media and Information Literacy Curriculum Guide, Senior High, K-12 Basic Curriculum Program
- Co-author, ICT for Professional Curriculum Guide, Senior High, K-12 Basic Curriculum Program
- Member, Instructional Material Design and Evaluation Workshop, Senior High, K-12 Basic Curriculum Program
Commission of Higher Education, K-12 Transition, Educational Technology Consultant
- Team Leader, Course Development (Teaching Guides) for Media and Information Literacy of Senior High, K-12 Basic Curriculum Program
Quipper School Philippines, Research Team Leader
- Research Output: Quipper School contributes to higher test scores, assignment submission and attendance rate
- On-going: Quipper School Research on Online Assignment / Homework
Media and Information Literacy Teacher Training Program, Convener and Lead Trainer
- Collaborating with different academic institutions, lgus, telcos and other stakeholders for national deployment.
- A TED talk inspired academic group that foster progressive, creative and active solutions for Philippine education.
International Research Collaboration
- A Study of the Use of Computer Supported Collaborative Learning (CSCL) Tools in English Education at University: Issues and Practices of International Learning, a joint research project with four (4) Japanese universities with the approval of the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) with funding from the Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research.
- Open Educational Resource in Asia, a research project between professors and consultants from Japan, USA, India and the Philippines.
- Game-based Learning in the Philippines: Pilot Study at UPIS, a research and training project between University of the Philippines – Integrated School (UPIS), PLDT, NTT Japan and CMI Korea.
Editorial Review Board Member
Doctor of Philosophy in Education Major in Educational Media and Society
International Christian University / Tokyo, Japan / Monbukagusho (Japanese Government Scholarship) / GPA: A – Excellent / 2010.03 – 2006.09
Assistant Professor, University of the Philippines - Diliman / College of Education / Educational Technology Department / 2014.12 ~ 2010.06
- Teach the theory and practice of the analysis, design, development, implementation and evaluation of resources and processes for technology integration for education with Student Evaluation Rating of 1.12 (1st Sem, SY2014-2015)
- Advise educational technology research that cuts across disciplines with at least 1 master student advisee graduating every year
- Perform administrative duties such as ICT Coordinator, Committee Chairmanship and others
- Recipient of Excellence in Teaching Award 2013 and UPCEd Best Committee Award 2011
Teaching Assistant, Educational Media and Society Department / International Christian University / Tokyo, Japan / 2010.04 – 2007.04
- Assisted in teaching of education, media and society courses
- English Language Education
Asia Pacific Regional Instructor, Cisco Networking Academy / National Computer Center / Quezon City, Philippines / 2005.03 – 2004.07
- Teach CCNA courses
Special Science Teacher, Computer Science Department / Philippine Science High School / Quezon City, Philippines / 2004.07 – 1997.06
- Teach computer programming and networking courses
Knowledge Channel, Educational Technology Consultant
- Analysis, design, development, implementation and evaluation of the LEEP Training Program and the KCh eLearning Portal.
eLearning Team Leader, Cloud Top Project, Department of Education and the Department of Science and Technology under the leadership of the Philippine Development (PhilDev) Foundation / 2012.02 - 2012.09.
- The Project aims to deploy technology (thin client, wifi, solar panels and cloud computing) to approximately 8,000 multi-grade classrooms across the country. At the heart of this two-year pilot is an eLearning System which aims to equip educators with knowledge, skills, and attitude to be familiar to design, use, produce, and evaluate the most efficient and effective digital content for instructions. As the team leader, I am responsible for the analysis, design, development, implementation, and evaluation of an eLearning system that includes application suite, content and course management system, and training.
Educational Technology Consultant, UP Information Technology Training Center (UP-ITTC) / 2010.10 - 2012.01
- Review of existing curriculum of UP ITTC and Education consultant on the Statistical Software Package for the Science Education Institute, Department of Science and Technology
Computer Science Consultant, Philippine Science High School System / 2012.
- Review of the proposed computer science 1 and 2 curriculum
Education Technology Consultant, Department of Education (DepEd), Philippines
- Project: Developing a Use Model for ICT Integration to Education (BEE & BES) / 2011.05
Representative, University of the Philippines - Diliman
- First Media Education Consultation and Workshop Meeting / Department of Education / Manila, Philippines / 2010.06
Team Member, International Christian University Group
- Competencies for Healthcare Professionals in the Emergency Rooms / Japan Society for Instructional Systems in Healthcare (JSISH) / Tokyo, Japan / 2010.01 – 2009.04
- Institute for Educational Research and Service (IERS), International Christian University, Tokyo, Japan, 2012.04 ~ 2010.04
- Educational Technology / Tokyo Gakugei University / Japan / 2006.08 – 2005.04
- Asian Graduate of Education (GSE) Forum / International Christian University, Japan and Seoul National University, Korea / Present – 2007
- PSHS Computer Quiz Bee (QUIZBITS) / Philippine Science High School / Quezon City, Philippines / 2004.03 – 2003.06
- Management Information System Technical Working Group / Philippine Science High School / Quezon City, Philippines / 2004.03 – 2003.06
System Analyst and Programmer
- Cybertronix Computer Specialist, Inc. / Cavite, Philippines / 1997.05 – 1996.02
Trainings / Workshops Conducted
Far Eastern University Diliman - Designing Technology Integration for Senior High School | FERN College, Diliman, Quezon City | 01.22-22.2016
Armed Forces of the Philippines - Instructional Media Resources Trainors' Qualification Course | Camp V Luna, Manila | 05.07.2015
Knowledge Channel - LEEP NCR Pilot Training | Quezon City Interactive Center | 04.13-15.2015
Seminar on Outcome-based Education and 21st Century Learning | University of the Philippines – Cebu | 09.2014
The First Media and Information Literacy Teacher Training Program | University of the Philippines – Diliman / 04.7-11.2014
Computer for Education: Seminar Workshop for In-service Public School Teachers | Immaculate Mother School and Happiland School, Quezon City, Philippines | 10.2.2010
Instructional Media Resources: Seminar Workshop for In-service Public School Teachers
- Eulogio Rodriguez Integrated School | Mandaluyong City, Philippines | 10.3.2011
- Malanday National High School | Marikina City, Philippines | 09.25.2010
Cisco Networking Academy Training for Professionals
- Philippine Science High School - Quezon City | 2002 – 2004
- Ateneo de Davao | 10.2002
Asia Pacific Regional Cisco Networking Academy Training | Nanyang Technological University - Singapore | 04.2002
Computer in Education Trainings | University of the Philippines - Diliman | 2003 – 2005
Manila Xiamen International School Summer Program | Manila Xiamen International School - China | 04.1999
Bodies of Research
- Pitagan, F.B. (2013). Interaction Effects and Cognitive Engagements of Collaborative Groups in Online Asynchronous Discussions. Education Quarterly, Vol. 71 (2), pp 44-23, http://www.journals.upd.edu.ph/index.php/edq/article/view/3880/3538
- Pitagan, F. B. (2009). Instructional Design and Teachers and Learners Factors Affecting Active and Meaningful Participation in Online Discussion. Educational Studies, Vol. 51, pp 103-113, ISSN 0452-3318. http://ci.nii.ac.jp/naid/40016762700
INTERNATIONAL / NATIONAL RESEARCH PRESENTATION
- Pitagan, F.B.(04.25.2015). Quipper School contributes to higher test scores, assignment submission and attendance rate, Quipper School National Principal Conference, Heritage Hotel, Philippines
- Pitagan, F.B.(2014). Information and Media Literacy Teacher Training Program. The 8th International Conference on Teacher Education (ICTEd), Crowne Plaza, Ortigas, Philippines.
- Pitagan, F.B.(2013.10.24). Do We Need Online Discussion Leaders?. National Conference on Research in Teacher Education, University of the Philippines - Diliman. http://ncrtephilippines.org/?page_id=257
- Pitagan, F. B. (2010.07.20-31).To Blend or Not To Blend: A Didactic Decision for Innovative Teaching and Learning. The 6th International Conference on Teacher Education (ICTEd), pp 26-27. SEAMEO-INNOTECH, Quezon City, Philippines. http://dilc.upd.edu.ph/index.php/events/478-icted-2010-ferdinand-pitagan
- Pitagan, F. B. (2008). The Impact of Grouping Strategies on Interaction Effects and Cognitive Engagements in Asynchronous Online Discussion. International Conference for Media in Education (IcoME), pp 419-411. Kansai University Takatsuki Campus, Osaka, Japan. http://icome2008.ict-education.org/japanese/index-jpn.htm
- Pitagan, F. B. (2007). Pilot Study: The Impact of Grouping Strategies on Interaction Effects and Cognitive Engagements in Asynchronous Online Discussion. Asian Graduate School of Education Forum, p 24. Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea. http://subsite.icu.ac.jp/gs/etchp/sked.html
- Pitagan, F. B. (2006). Thesis Summary: University Virtual Learning Environment (UVLE) and Intellectual Behaviors of Teachers and Students. Graduate School of Education Forum, pp 100-105. International Christian University, Tokyo, Japan.
- Media and Information for Teachers (2015.04.16). PACU Academic Management Seminar Series V, Philippine Association of Universities and Colleges, University of the Asia and the Pacific, Philippines
- Media and Information Literacy for K-12 Teachers (2015.02.20-22). The First Annual National Digital Education Summit, St. Jude Catholic School, Manila, Philippines
- Media and Information Literacy for K-12 Teachers (2015.12.06). The 12th National eLearning Conference, Philippine eLearning Society, UP Los Banos.
- Educational Technology: Breaking Through the Norms in Education (2013). One Goal 2013, UP Diliman
- Harnessing the Power of the Technology in Promoting Multicultural Education in the Filipino Classroom (2013). The 5th National Conference on Teacher Training, UPNISMED Auditorium, UP Diliman.
- The 21st Century Teacher: A Leader, Mentor, Researcher, and Tech-Savvy (2012). DELPS Public Lecture, UP Diliman.
- e-Tablet for Education (2012.07.29). Quezon City-Marikina Grade School Consortium (QCMGSC), Miriam College Child Study Center, Philippines
- Multi-media Instructional Materials (2012.06.08). La Salle Greenhills, Philippines
- Designing an Innovative eLearning (2012.04.22). Center for Child Study, Miriam College, Philippines
- Blended Learning: Combining Traditional with Digital Technologies for Effective and Efficient Learning (2012.04.07). UPLIFT 2012, Philippine Science High School.
- The Techie Teacher: Adopting ICT in the Filipino Classroom (2011.09.17). The 32nd Manila International Book Fair, SMX Convention Center, Philippines.
- Are You Doing I(C)T Right: Strategies for Making effective Use of e-Learning Tools (2011.09.17). The 32nd Manila International Book Fair, SMX Convention Center, Philippines.
- To Blend or Not To Blend: A Discourse for Innovative Teaching and Learning (2011.10.13). Catalyst 2011, Philippine Science High School.
- Instructional Design with Information and Communication Technology (IDwICT) (2010.10.27-28). The 4th National ICTs in Basic Education Congress, Ateneo de Manila, Philippines. http://depedteacher.blogspot.com/2010/09/4th-national-congress-on-icts-in-basic.html
- The Repeat: Empowering the Nation Through Education Technology 2010.10.5). Philippine Youth Congress in Information Technology (Y4iT), UP National Institute for Science and Mathematics Education Development (UP-NISMED), UP Diliman. http://188.8.131.52/wordpress/?page_id=100
- Empowering the Nation Through Education Technology (2010.09.14-17). Philippine Youth Congress in Information Technology (Y4iT), Film Institue, UP Diliman. http://184.108.40.206/wordpress/?page_id=100
- Computer Software for Education (2010.08.26). Alternative Classroom Learning Experience (ACLE), College of Education, UP Diliman.
- Pitagan, F. B. (2010). PhD Dissertation: The Implications of Collaborative Grouping, Learners’ Gender and Facilitation Leadership on Interaction and Cognitive Engagements in Asynchronous Online Discussion.
- Pitagan, F. B. (2005). Thesis: University Virtual Learning Environment (UVLe) and Intellectual Behaviors of Teachers and Students. Philippine e-lib, Thesis 371.334 P68u 2005, 120 pages. Manila, Philippines. http://www.elib.gov.ph/results.php?f=author&q=Pitagan%2C+Ferdinand+B.
- To Blend or Not To Blend: A Didactic Decision for Innovative Teaching and Learning.
- Instructional Systems Design: Criticisms and Responses Based on Theoretical and Empirical Evidences.
- The Effectiveness and Factors Affecting Effectiveness of Blended Learning Based on Empirical Research.
Awards and Scholarships
- Excellence in Teaching Award / University of the Philippines – College of Education / 2013
- Best Committee Award / University of the Philippines – College of Education / 2011.03
- Monbukagusho (Japanese Government Scholarship)/ 2009.09 – 2005.04
- Best Filipino Teacher Award / Support Your Dream Movement (SYD) / Japan / 2005.12
- DOST Scholarship/ Philippine Department of Science and Technology / 2004 – 2003; 1999 – 1998
- University Scholars Award - Gawad Chancellor/ University of the Philippines - Diliman / 2004 (1st Semester); 2003 (1st and 2nd Semester)
- Best Coach, Computer Programming / Philippine National Competitions / 1999 – 2003
- Model Student Award / Rotary International / 1988
- Roxas Leadership Award / Gerry Roxas Foundation / Philippines / 1988
- Philippine Association of the Japanese Government Scholars
- Association of Filipino Students in Japan
- Science and Technology Advisory Council - Japan Chapter
- University of the Philippines
- University of the Philippines - Diliman
- UP College of Education
- UP College of Education Homepage
- UP Information Technology Training Center (UP-ITTC)
- International Christian University
- ICU Institute for Educational Research and Service (IERS).
- Monbukagusho (Japanese Government Scholarship)
- Tokyo Gakugei University
- Philippine Science High School
- Asian Graduate School Forum